Wednesday, April 15, 2015

4.15.15

We're at the halfway point...I'm 15 for 15 so far!  Today's prompt dealt with a poem that addresses itself...this may not be exactly it, but it went where it wanted to.  Hell, it always does.



Function of Poetry

My poems run down
washboard gravel roads,
sneakers sliding, teetering
between the wildflower ditches,
fighting the prairie winds,
looking for the pieces I’ve dropped.

My poems stay up all night
while I sleep, assigning numbers
to the fireflies, cataloging the stars,
rearranging the constellations
of my mind, rewriting physics,
quieting the chaos.

My poems come armed
with needle and thread, duct tape
and glue guns, lathe and baling wire.
They stitch and patch and build
and cobble me back together
whenever I come flying apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment