Monday, April 6, 2015

4.5.15

The NaPoWriMo prompt for Sunday was to reboot an Emily Dickinson poem...I picked "Hope" is the thing with feathers -     Check out the original here http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/171619 and then my bastardization below.



Wanderlust

Hope is the sharp-eyed clawed thing
that perches on the shoulder
of the soul, humming
the tune without the words
into the ear, sweet and scratchy,
a gale of what is lacking,
what can be found elsewhere,
anywhere but here.
It is unabashed by my hands
that pull at its feathers,
by my feet that try to take root.
I can’t shut it out,
can’t shut it off.
I’ve heard it in the
coldest night, outside my window
in the blackness of snow,
and on the emptiest highway,
riding moonless breezes in the sunroof.
It sings of strange seas, oilslick
promises, tomorrows made
of backlit purple milk glass,
unformed and untested, yet
always I follow
the trail of crumbs
it drops for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment