Tuesday, April 21, 2015

4.20.15

The prompt for Monday was to write a poem about things that you know--I started doing this for myself, and was coming up with lines like "I know an appalling amount of soft-rock lyrics from the nineties" and "I know the cat's secret poopy spot"--and while that might be amusing to pursue someday, it wasn't what I was in the mood for, so I abandoned what I know and dipped into fiction.  This is a persona poem using the "I know" prompt, from the point of view of a character of mine from another project.  Cross-pollination FTW!



Character Sketch

I know the rules.  Oh, do I
know them. I know how to rattle
you, and I know how not
to get caught.  I know fourteen words
for the color “blue,” and I know
the names of the stars
between here and home.  I know
freedom in spurts, in the feel
of the wind in my hair, tearing
away from here. I know which end
of the gun to point away from myself,
I know how to hit a moving target.
I know that wanting is useless, and
that wanting never stops.  I know how
to handle a  man with knives in his boots.
I also know how to dance, but
not worth a damn. I know it’s all bigger,
better than they let on. I know the fear
of falling miles, the fear of sudden,
violent nothing.  I know that one day
it’s all going to split wide open, and I’m
going to be there—you bet your ass
I’m going to be there.

1 comment: