Saturday, April 18, 2015

4.17.15

The prompt today was to write a "social media" poem, using snippets from tweets, posts, emails, and the like.  I did some of that...I also stole lines from a brochure about energy conservation, from the "drug information" sheet for my daughter's current antibiotic, a couple of warning labels, quotes from my two-year-old, random commercials on the radio, and got permission to blatantly jack the last couple lines of the poem from a friend's novel-in-progress.  This one was fun.  :)



Spring Fever

Non-drowsy tulip time
may cause dizziness and white blossoms
in periods of peak demand, the broad open
crown of storm damage denies a fever.
A secret love talks, the tripwires in your head
twang in April’s baby laugh attack.
Can I eat the sky?  This is non-toxic,
do not drink, not a food item.  Small creatures
place flowers on each other’s front doors.
A lot happens between now and the end.
A man gives himself a horrible Pokemon tattoo
while drunk.  Feed it. Silver bullet or
divine secret, the best time to plant a tree
was twenty years ago.  White flowers
and small green foliage filter sunlight, they turn it
up, they shut up and dance with me.  Feed it. If
you have any questions about the end of this manhunt,
please talk to your provider.  No one knows why, no one
knows why.  Crawlspace, basement, floors, walls,
attic, sky.  If you’ve ever stood on a roof in spring,
know this: irises, dry ice, smart chicken, wet dog,  water wells
burrow deep below winter’s frozen bones.  Feed
it.  I turn my face to the sky
and scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment